My Solution Tree Book
By Brian M. Stack and Jonathan Vander Els, 2017
Published by Solution Tree
Foreword by Chris Sturgis
Shifting to a competency-based curriculum allows educators to revolutionize education by replacing traditional, ineffective systems with a personalized, learner-centered approach. Throughout the resource, the authors explore how the components of PLCs promote the principles of competency-based education and share real-world examples from practitioners who have made the transition to learner-centered teaching. Each chapter ends with reflection questions readers can answer to apply their own learning progression.
By reading this book, K-12 administrators, school leaders, and teacher leaders will:
- Evaluate the qualities of true competency-based schools and the flaws in traditional schooling.
- Consider the foundational role that PLCs have in establishing the competency-based approach and promoting learning for all.
- Gain tips for successfully implementing student-centered practices for learning competencies and performance assessment and grading.
- Explore real school experiences that highlight the processes and challenges involved in moving from traditional to competency-based school structures
- Access reproducible school-design rubrics appropriate for the five design principles of competency-based learning.
Chapter 1: Understanding the Components of an Effective Competency-Based Learning System
Chapter 2: Building the Foundation of a Competency-Based Learning System Through PLCs
Chapter 3: Developing Competencies and Progressions to Guide Learning
Chapter 4: Changing to Competency-Friendly Grading Practices
Chapter 5: Creating and Implementing Competency-Friendly Performance Assessments
Chapter 6: Responding When Students Need Intervention and Extension
Chapter 7: Sustaining the Change Process
References and Resources